« Home | Why Piazza del Gesù is so windy » | The basilica of Saint Paul » | The rival of Jesus: Mithra » | The ghost of Donna Olimpia (1592-1657) » | The ghost of Luca de Marchettis » | Living miracles in Rome » | Mistery of an island: Isola Tiberina » | La fontana del facchino (fountain of the porter) » | The Lapis Niger » | A famous Saint of Rome: Alessio » 

domenica, novembre 06, 2005 

Eating in Rome

If you come in Rome and you want to eat (especially if you are guest in a house), it's good to you to know what you can do or not when yuo are eating. First you don't have to cross culteries because it's very ill-omened: that's because it remembers the death of Jesus. If you make fall the salt it's a bad thing: infact a legend tells that when you will die you'll spend 7 years in purgatory (to avoid it, pick up the salt or dump it behind your shoulders). When you sit down near the table to eat with friends, you must be more or less than 13, because if you don't, during the year, the littlest or another one of those that ate with you will die. When you are a guest you don't have, at the end of the meal, fold the napkin because if you do it, you won't come back in that house again. A last thing: keep in your mind that when the table is set, you can't play any game, because on a set table soldiers played with the dress of Jesus. For more, post me. Dblk

Wow! I'm so glad I found your blog. I love to read about cultures of other countries!

OOOOh, I didn't know that!!
Is there anything else that I have to be careful??

I also looked at your Italian blog. It seems to be filled with curiosity and energy!!
I want to read them! I wish I could understand Italian!!!

I actually tried to study Italian this spring but I couldn't study Spanish and Italian at the same time. They are too similar to each other.
But I'm gonna try it again in the near future....very soon!
I agree with you; Italian is one of the most beautiful language I've ever heard!
Ciao! Matane:)
~Peach

Yeah, I was wondering that too.

So, for the entire year that someone is 13 they are not allowed to eat at the table with everyone else? That must suck. Do they really do that?

It's better to be 12 or 14 instead of 13. We always try to do avoid that. It's a usance. Ciao, Dblk

Posta un commento